Saturday, September 10, 2011

Geraldine Solon: Author Interview

Until recently Geraldine Solon was a new author to us here at Chick Litaholic. I recently reviewed her latest novel, Chocolicious (you can read the review here ) and fell in love with her style of writing. We recently found out the exciting news that her first novel Love Letters is being made into a movie. I was lucky enough to interview Geraldine Solon and here is what she had to tell us:

Thankyou for joining us today. I really enjoyed your latest novel Chocolicious. Where did you get the inspiration for the novel?  I was craving for a three-layered, rich-filled chocolate cupcake one day when a vision of a distressed woman came to my mind. I was so absorbed in her world that I knew chocolate cupcakes had to be the epitome of the story.

What was your biggest challenge in writing this novel?
My biggest challenge was raising the stakes in Blair’s life and I think I made every dramatic turn I could think of. They say you get to know a lot about a person when tragedy strikes. Although it hurt me to witness Blair suffering, I knew there was so much I could infuse in her character. People cope differently and some may embrace trials, while others can run away from them. I believe that Chocolicious demonstrates the perfect example of the quote, “When life gives you lemons, you make lemonade.”

Chocolicious is a novel focused around romance. Would you say you are a romantic at heart?
Chocolicious is actually Women’s fiction, and although there is a love story, the underlying theme is about a mother’s love and sacrifice. There were various relationships explored in this novel which was between lovers, sisters and mother’s and daughters. And yes, I’m a hopeless romantic. I’ve always been a firm believer that love conquers all.

If Chocolicous were to made into a movie who would be your dream cast?
Nicole Kidman would be an ideal fit for Blair’s character and I know she loves playing dramatic roles that focus on love and loss. I would love to see Kevin James play the role of George since he fits the description. It would be exciting to watch Kevin play a serious role for a change.

Do you enjoy baking like Blair and her sister do in the novel?
Good question. LOL! No . . ., but I enjoy eating. LOL! And chocolate is definitely my weakness. I mean c’mon, I don’t really know anybody who doesn’t like CHOCOLATE.

Do you have any advice for women to empower themselves?
Women have different roles—mothers, wives, daughters and while serving others, we tend to forget about ourselves. We live in an era that offers more opportunities than what our grandmothers used to have and I say we should take advantage of it. My biggest advice for women is to put their heart and soul in their passion. Passion creates zeal, zeal creates confidence and confidence leads to independence. It’s the best gift a woman can give to themselves. Women have continued to evolve from beautiful creatures, to intelligent warriors that are making a difference in this world. This is the best time to be a woman. Embrace it!

With your novel being titled Chocolicious, what is your favourite chocolate dessert?
Anything that has chocolate in it. LOL! But if I were to elaborate, it would be Chocolate Decadence Cake, Chocolate Mousse, Chocolate Mud Pie, Better Than Sex Chocolate Cake, (Okay it isn’t better, but the chocolate is so rich that it comes close. LOL!), Chocolate Cupcakes, Chocolate Brownies and a lot more.

Who are your favourite authors?
Danielle Steel, Nicholas Sparks, Eileen Goudge, Lisa Scottoline, Chevy Stevens, Kristin Hannah and Dan Brown.

Are you working on anything new at the moment, and if so can you tell us about it?
My next novel is called The Assignment and is set in the Philippines. I'm submitting it to my editor this month so she can edit my book.

Here’s a brief summary:

Travel journalist, Sophie Matthews is a nomad who hasn’t found a place she could call home. Working for Constar Communications has allowed her to embrace different cultures. As she turns forty, Sophie’s desires are different—she now wants to settle down and have a family. Her boss, Greg Sullivan leaves her with one request to fulfill her last assignment, featuring the life of artist/writer Marina Suarez who was captured by Japanese soldiers during World War II in the Philippines. Ten years ago, Sophie left Manila with a broken heart, but as fate would have it, she soon finds herself in the busy streets of Manila and crosses paths with Eric Santiago once again. As Sophie tries to unravel the mystery of Marina’s life, she learns that Eric is the only one who can help her gather the pieces together. When Sophie discovers Marina’s deep, dark secret, little does Sophie know it will change her life forever.


We cannot wait to read your new novel. Thankyou for joining us at Chick Litaholic

Thanks so much for your support.

You can visit Geraldine Solon at her website





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...