Monday, September 12, 2011

Fat Girls And Fairy Cakes: A Review

Sue Watson - Fat Girls And Fairy Cakes

When Was It Released?: 8th September 2011
Where Did I Get It From?: Paul from Rickshaw Publishing sent this in exchange for a review
Who Published It?: Rickshaw Publishing  

Number Of Pages: 349 pages



When a book mixes chick lit and baking, two of my favourite things, together, you already know I’m going to be hooked before I even open the book. Fat Girls and Fat Cakes combines both together in one great big mixing bowl that had me laughing, and running to my local store for a big supply of cakes! Fat Girls and Fairy Cakes is Sue Watson’s debut novel, and let me tell you, I already know there are big things to come from this author.

Stella Weston, has a successful career in TV, where she works long hours, has constant stress placed on her from the boss from hell and could probably stand to lose just a few pounds. Stella is constantly battling to find the right balance between her career and her family life, which consists of husband Tom and daughter Grace. Things aren’t looking so good when the boss from hell decides to relegate her to working on a gardening program where she has to contend with a nervous vicar, a nymphomaniac wife and Britney wannabe gardener Gerald. Stella has always been able to find comfort at the bottom of her mixing bowl, and lets be honest who hasn’t? However when even baking cannot save the day Stella decides that she must conjure up the courage to quit her job and find out if she can really turn her passion into her career.

I was instantly drawn into Fat Girls and Fairy Cakes as soon as I started the first page. The character of Stella is so warm and relatable that I felt as though she was actually one of my friends, and at times forgot that she was just a character in a novel. I found myself laughing along with Stella as well as feeling her pain and routing for her to follow her dreams and find happiness. I particularly found that I was able to relate to the comfort that Stella is able to find in baking and in eating the cakes and goodies that she creates. How many of us after a stressful day have turned to the chocolate or cakes as a way of making ourselves feel better? I know more of us than we would admit! I also loved the supporting characters in the novel, with Al being one of my favourites. His humour and flamboyant character are a welcome relief when the novel has more emotional moments. The storyline flows so easily that once you get started with this novel you will have a hard time being able to put it down. I especially loved the way in which each chapter has its own quirky title such as ‘Sex In The Dark’, which really had me wanting to read on to find out what happens next. There is also mention of Strictly Come Dancing, the TV show, in the novel, which I think is great timing for this novel. The new series is just about to begin, therefore linking this into the novel was great timing for Sue Watson.

My only issue with the novel was that I did find it a little difficult to get into at the very beginning. I found that the character of Stella came off as not particularly likeable over the first few pages, with the way she places her career before her child. Once I got into the novel, however I found that the novel
flowed well and that I began to fall in love with the character of Stella.

Overall I loved Fat Girls and Fairy Cakes and would recommend this novel to anyone who loves chick lit and wants a light read. The novel is filled with humour, emotion, bitching, baking and love, making it an enjoyable read. Go and get your copy of Fat Girls and Fat Cakes, but remember, you may want to have some treats in the cupboard before you begin this novel as I can guarantee you will be craving the cakes! And who knows, this may just make you want to get into the kitchen and start baking!










No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...